The blog will be neglected again for an entire month, because I do have to talk about NaNoWriMo. I'm going to assume that anyone who actually reads my blog already knows what that is, but if you really must, Google it. This year is a special year because there is not one goal but two. One is to win the contest, as is the goal every year. But the second is to finish my novel, which I have been trying to finish since 8th grade. The story looks very very different now, but it's my baby so to speak, and the time has come for me to stop getting held up by imperfections and grind it out. It's so hard to keep telling myself that everything doesn't have to fit together the first time. It's worse to have something that I keep rewriting and rewriting to try and get right the first time around without ever finishing. Better to know where the story ends and how they get there in the general sense and the details will fill themselves in. Easy to tell myself. Old habits die hard, but I'm going to try to kill them this year.
School is coming down hard on me since every year, no matter what school a person attends, teachers like to assign everything in the month of November. I should have finished my novel when I had the chance, back in 8th grade. The whole quarter was essentially mine to use for my novel. I mean how many people get that chance? Write your novel for homework. Geez. Had it so easy. Not like now. Now I have a bunch of projects and presentations to be worried about, not to mention I still want to have a bit of fun with my life. But maybe I can get into that phase of "reckless literary abandon." Maybe I can just let the characters carry the story. Forget that Main Character did This Action for No Reason. If that's what he does, let him. I can think of a reason later. Gotta just repeat it in my head like a mantra: The characters carry the story.
On another note, I suppose I can tell you about my really great day yesterday. I got to be acquainted with a lot of people with whom I think I might be able to form friendships. I realized that it was a good day at a very random time. We had just gone to Uwajimaya, the Japanese supermarket in the I-district, and, once we finished our shopping, we headed to a little beverage shop called Oasis, which sells bubble teas and milk teas and the such like, and we ordered some drinks. I was sitting with my friends, sipping on a Thai iced tea and listening to dance pop music, and I had that feeling again. The feeling struck me by surprise, as I hadn't felt it in a while, but I made sure I enjoyed it while it lasted. The feeling that everything was just right, and I was happy, really, truly happy. For that little half-hour, everything was perfect. It gave me hope that one day soon, college would no longer be "fine, just fine" but like college should be. It took me back to my senior year, when everything was still "perfect." It really was perfect that year. I hear people saying how high school sucked and things weren't measuring up to the hype, but I will remember 12th grade as one of the best in my life. It's definitely the best I've had so far. But now I have hope. Things might get even better. I'm gonna have to work hard, ohhhhohohh I'm gonna have to work soo hard. But hope is what keeps people alive, keeps them going. Hope is one thing you should never, ever, ever steal from anyone. If anything, hope is gonna get me through my ridiculous November. Hope is going to find me friends. Hope is going to ensure that I find my "perfect" again.
That is all, my friends. Wish me a happy, prosperous, victorious November, and I wish the same to you too. And in the wise words of Eagle Eye Cherry: Don't give up, never give up!
No comments:
Post a Comment