Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Point of Origin

I've noticed a common theme in many stories, whether in film or literature, about the sensation of being lost. Many broken but fascinating, complex characters have developed because of it. Without a place of belonging, there is nothing to restrain a person and he may be swept away by the tumultuous currents of circumstance, tossed along in a sea of external influences. To be spiritually lost is to be on a ship in the middle of a vast ocean with no map, no landmarks, and stars that follow erratic, unpredictable patterns by which it is impossible to navigate. After not knowing one's position for a long time, a breakdown inevitably follows.

Being away from my family has caused to me to contemplate the importance of having a place to belong, a home. I would not say that I've experienced that same sort of spiritual desolation that some fictional characters have, but I am still aware of how having a place to call home can anchor me. Knowing I have a place to run back to not only provides me great comfort but also great confidence. My home is the point of origin from which all aspects of me are derived.

In mathematical terms, the origin is the point on a graph of any type of coordinate system that allows all other points, lines, vectors, and curves to be drawn. It is the reference point that gives shape and an identity to all other points in the plane. Without an origin, a point may exist, but it is nameless. There is no telling where it is or what its properties may be. If one wished draw a path, whether straight or curved, without an origin, there would be no telling as to whether or not the path is moving in the proper direction.

I do not speak of home strictly in the sense of physical location. Home, in this sense, does not mean where I live or where I was born, but the place in my heart that I must run to in the face of the most desolate situations and insurmountable obstacles. Home is the place I go when I am weak and helpless. By that logic, home can indeed be found in a physical place, or in one's parents, in one's friends, or in one's God.

When I think of home, I think of my family. They are the ones who had the most influence in shaping my identity. However, even when I am far from their presence, they are never truly absent from me. All their teachings and encouragements have become a part of me, and this is the nature of home. Your home is a part of you. Your home becomes you. And that is how we can navigate the tides of life, even when it seems like we are alone.

Our homes are what give us our identities. They provide a foundation we may stand upon when our beliefs have been challenged, and we are thrown in the face of doubts. Having a home gives us the strength to believe in ourselves and stride forward because we belong somewhere or with someone, and we understand that we are valuable and have meaning. No matter what circumstances come our way, we are certain we can face it because we have a point of origin to anchor our hearts and remind us of who we truly are.

No comments:

Post a Comment