I wonder where that stigma came from that true art is tragic and that happy endings don't turn up awards the way angst-ridden drama does. There often seems to be a prevailing notion that sorrow is more poetic, and cynicism more insightful while happy stories are often marked as "sappy."
I call bullshit.
What could be braver than joy? In the face of all of life's suffering, how could showcasing its cruelty, apathy, and misfortune be seen as more powerful than defying it? When all seems lost, what could be stronger than the courage to hope?
Often times, stories are tragic because they are true. It is true that there are terrible, terrifying things in this world; don't we all know it? We watch a brooding, cynical movie and nod astutely as it tells us all of humanity's failings and all the pain we will endure over the course of our lives.
But what about the other things? The things that make life worth living? What about love, compassion, goodness, peace?
There's nothing wrong with pointing out painful truths, especially in a world where it is becoming increasingly easy to ignore them. But I disagree with elevating depictions of suffering over depictions of hope.
I think it's harder to write a story that ends happily without it feeling contrived. Happiness in real life, is an elusive beast after all. But I also think harder is more fun. And if a storyteller succeeds in writing a good happy ending--a truly good one--I think they have probably stumbled upon one of the most artful, poetic, beautiful parts of the human experience.
Go on ahead and write about evocative, dramatic, painful truths. It's important.
But write about happy endings too.
No comments:
Post a Comment